Friday, December 15, 2006

First Contact with Minimed

Since I'm an existing Minimed customer, they received my first call. My main goal was to find some basic information regarding this technology. After being transferred about 3 times, I finally landed with the correct department (I'll give you all a hint, when you are calling, as to speak to the "returns and customer service" department).
Here is what I found:

  • Until December 31st, existing in warranty customers can upgrade to the kit for $999. This includes a refurbished paradigm real-time pump, 10 glucose sensors and the wireless transmitter.
  • The wireless transmitter must be replaced every nine months. It contains a sealed battery for waterproof purposes. After nine months, you must get another one for approximately $900 more dollars.
  • Every month, a new 10 pack of refurbished sensors cost $350. WOW, how can anyone afford this, unless they choose to not where it all the time.
  • Each sensor only lasts 3 days
  • Once you attach the sensor and the transmitter to your body, you can't take it off until you are ready to change to another sensor. You shower with it on.
  • It does not control insulin dosages, just shows glucose trends.
  • When first connect a new sensor to your body, the unit takes up to 3 hours to calibrate. This may or may not happen successfully. I will offer my own opinion on this after I try it!
    Overall, this package seems very expensive, but seems advantageous to me, since it integrates with the pump to display glucose.

You do not need a separate unit. You are able to return the pump and transmitter within 30 days for a refund. However, you will still be charged $350 for the sensors.

Currently there is a 3 month waiting list to even try this unit. I think I will try to call my local Minimed sales representative to see if I can try out a demo unit. Thats all for now!

As always, this information is what I gathered and you should verify all information with the company.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home