Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Can I try it, before I buy it?

My local diabetes education center provided me the contact information for my local Minimed sales representative. Understanding how expensive, and new the continuous glucose monitoring is, I'm very hesitant buying this thing before I can try it. Just like watching a TV at the store before you buy it, I want to wear the unit before committing to this huge expense. However time is off the essence, since Minimed's trade in offer expires by December 31st.

I called the sales representative she was very helpful with product information. She also is a diabetic and a user of the Paradigm Real Time pump. She loved it, and told me her A1C dropped an entire point in 3 months. During our conversation I expressed my desire to get my hands and actually wear the unit for 3 days. The sales representative needed to check with her boss before allowing this to happen.

Sorry to say, after getting back to me about a week later, Minimed would not allow me to try the unit for 3 days. Minimed felt that I would not be able to get an adequate experience trying this unit for such a short amount of time. They said it sometimes takes 6-7 sensors, to get totally comfortable with the unit and the readings. This I do not understand. I should be able to insert the sensor into my stomach, and obtain reading for 3 days. With them being so hesitant on me trying the unit, I get the feeling it's NOT that easy. I figure there is a huge learning curve. My only option appears that I would have to buy the unit, and try it for the 30 trial period.

Now, my dilemma continues...do I buy it, or wait until the costs come down. $350 a month for sensors is alot of money, but then again, how do you put a cost on better blood sugar control?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home