Thursday, March 15, 2007

Day 1 - with my new CGMS

When I got the notice that my new CGMS was delivered to my house, I couldn't wait to get home from work. I spend about 2 hours reading over all the material, transfering over my pump settings, and reading how to properly insert the glucose sensor.

It was about 8pm at night, when I the sensor was inserted into my stomach and hooked up the new minlink transmitter. Now, I had to anxiously await the 2 hour calibration phase.
About 10pm, the insulin pump instructed me to prick my finger for a BG reading and enter it into the system. I held my breath, entered in the value....and magically, this awesome little device started to read my first BG value. This thing is nothing short of amazing.

I setup the alarms to alert me when my glucose values droped below 80 or above 200. At 10pm at night, my glucose was reading at 170. Every five minutes, it reported my glucose levels to be dropping....162, 145, 110, 100. My first reaction was that it was not functioning correctly. So I tested my sugars with a prick, and sure enough, it was almost exactly on!

The first night I wore the device, the low glucose alarm woke me up....I was dropping below 80. So I took corrective measures and continued my nights sleep. I sure hope day 2 goes as well as the first 4 hours.

As far as the minilink transmitter, it is very small and is almost transparent under a shirt. It was a little uncomfortable inserting the glucose sensor, and I actually drew a little blood. I was concerned this would ruin the calibration, but was very happy when it worked as described.
Well, off to work, I have a feeling it will be alot of fun watching my blood sugars on the graph. I will tell you more on Day 2.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home