Friday, July 20, 2007

Sensor Error FAQ

Glucose Sensor Error? What do I do now?

After having my minimed paradigm real time glucose meter for about 5 months, I'm already becoming pretty good at getting those darn sensors to work for about 7-8 days. Let's face it, these little buggers are expensive and my absolute last option is to discard the sensor prior to me getting the mileage from it. Listed below are some of the errors my pump has reported, and how I went about getting them to work: (Please remember, that I am sharing my experiences!!!! I am NOT a doctor or a minimed representative. Read at your own risk)

Sensor Calibration Error: This one can be tricky. This usually occurs when your minimed pump glucose readings are "way" out of wack with your recent finger stick. Now, this can be the death of a good sensor. But, like I said earlier, I always try to work it out. For example, your minimed unit is reading a 140 glucose level, and your finger prick reads 220. After entering in the calibration reading of 220, you meter could come back with a calibration error. At this point I usually tell the meter to start a "New Sensor". After going through the abbreviated calibration (doesn't take 2 hours), the sensor usually works just fine. After this, I tend to finger check more often to ensure the pump and meter values are functioning correctly. If this doesn't work, and the calibration error continues, your only choice is to discard the sensor.

Sensor Error: Just the other day, I was going through the 2 hour calibration timeframe, when my pump chirped at me....Sensor Error. Boy, this was my first day on this sensor, and I wasn't going to through in the towel yet. When this occurs, I usually can tell the pump to start a "New Sensor" and things will work just fine.

Lost or Weak Signal: This has to be my favorite (kidding) error of them all. The transmitter is supposed to have a 4-6 foot wireless range, but I'll be darned if I get 1 foot at the most. I have found that if my PDA phone has the wi-fi networking turned on, it disrupts my sensor to pump connection. If this is not the case for me, sometimes I actually apply some pressure to the sensor infusion site for a couple of minutes. I've actually seen the transmitter green light blink. This tells me that the sensor wire was not seated correctly.

I will share some more experiences shortly. 9 out of 10 times, I'm able to recover from my sensor's errors. I look forward to insurance coverage!

6 Comments:

At September 28, 2008 at 7:38 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please let me know how you get more than the 3 days out of a sensor!!! My pump will automatically shut the sensor off after 3 days so I have no option but to change it!! Help, I would love to get 7-8 days out of sensor.
michelle

 
At November 22, 2008 at 8:08 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just got my CGMS set up today. I've learned from a different source that there are indeed some tricks to get 9+days out of a sensor. You have to look at the life of a sensor in 3 day increments.
AT the end of the FIRST 3 days, check your bg with a meter--have this number handy. THen go to "start new sensor" and enter the bg reading that you just got from your meter. This gives you another 3 days.
At the end of the next 3 days (6th day on the sensor) when you get the sensor end signal, disconnect the transmitter from the sensor and wait 10 to 15 min. Then reconnect the transmitter to the sensor (that is still inplace). Then you have to do a 2 hour wait just like you do when you first start a new sensor. THe first thing you do is to enter a calibration after the end of the 2 hours.

Like I say, I just got started with mine today, but someone using a CGMS for several years gave me these steps that he does to extend the life of his sensors.

 
At February 16, 2009 at 8:08 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the tips to extend those expensive little sensor lives! Under the "Sensor Calibration Error" section, you state, "After going through the abbreviated calibration (doesn't take 2 hours)", in regards to faking out a new sensor. What do you mean by "abbreviated calibration". Thanks again.

 
At September 6, 2011 at 7:54 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

my sensor said weak signal an it wasnt going away so i click find lost sensor and now it says 6 hour warm up and i cant get my bg readings how do i fix this problem asap???

 
At September 18, 2011 at 7:16 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Be really careful to properly clean the site if they're going to be used for more than three days. I have more trouble keeping the tape adhering to my skin than making my sensor last. Once it starts to peel up, it allows a vector for nasty shit to get to the site. No good. Jf anybody has some recommendations for better adhesives I'd love to hear them! cheers, Ian

 
At January 10, 2012 at 7:31 AM , Blogger whitney said...

The nexcare tape covers are awesome on cleanliness and they are big so you dont have to use two of them FYI

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home