Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Insulin and Hamburgers

This week, I've learned a very interesting thing about my glucose levels, and the foods that I eat. I was noticing that after eating a cheeseburger at McDonalds (no fries), I was constantly having low blood sugar levels. Not that I eat them often, but it's close to work, and it's a cheap lunch.

Normally I would bolus 3 units to cover the carbs in the burger. What I've come to understand, by watching the trends on my real time glucose monitor, that I do NOT have to take any insulin for that lunch. My normal basal rates, along with how my body reacts to this type of food was very interesting. This may not be the case for everyone, but it works for me.

I would never have been able to pattern this, without the use of the continuous glucose monitor. Boy, it feels good to master the challenge of certain foods VS insulin requirements.

Anyone else experience this?

2 Comments:

At August 17, 2007 at 12:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't experienced your hamburger scenario, but I have noticed from using my CGMS (Dexcom 7) that I get a huge spike from just a simple cup of coffee in the morning. And that includes a bolus shot for the cream and sugar. Good luck going foward.

Anthony
Dexcom 7
http://dexcomseven.blogspot.com

 
At August 18, 2008 at 7:16 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps it's the fat in the burger. I've noticed that fat slows down the absorption of carbs. The carbs don't need bolus coverage until hours later: so if you bolus right before you eat a fatty carb, you drop low and then hours later go up high.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home