Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Sensors, Insurance, and Apidra Update

Well, I apologize for not posting in a while, and have been getting many requests to keep going!

Here is an update on a couple of things.

1. I have stopped using the Apidra insulin. This insulin is WAY to fast acting for my body right now. I had a very tough time controlling high and low values over the 3 months I was using it. I was experiencing low values right after meals, and then fairly high values after 2 hours. I went back to Novolog, which seems to be a better fit for me. I’d be happy to share more if anyone is interested.
2. Sensors Update – I have some good news and some bad news regarding how my insurance company covers the expense of the glucose sensors. Humana considers Medtronic as an OUT OF NETWORK provider of the sensors, so I have to reach a separate OUT OF NETWORK $1000 deductible, before they will cover 60%. I find this funny, as my insulin pump supplies, which come from Medtronic are considered IN NETWORK. And since Medtronic is the only supplier, I have no choice. I could talk on this topic for hours if anyone is interested.
3. Be careful with thinking the CGMS will solve all your glucose problems. I have now been on this for over 2 years and have some words of wisdom. I have found you can micro manage your blood sugar that will actually cause some problems. For example, the sensors are NOT always accurate and they are delayed from your actual readings. The method the sensors use to measure your glucose is NOT real-time with your actual finger prick. I will be blogging much more on this topic shortly.

I hope this helps people and I encourage feedback on my posts.

9 Comments:

At June 4, 2009 at 8:13 AM , Blogger LBeach said...

Hi, Mike. Would love to hear further thoughts on sensors. Just started using them in Feb and they are frustrating me to death for many of the reasons you mentioned. Have been to a teaching and done the on-line tutorials ad nauseum. Still getting errors and WAY OFF readings all the time. Big pain. Please feel free to contact me lsbeachrph@gmail.com.

 
At June 30, 2009 at 1:52 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Base,

It is so funny I was reading your blog for quite a while before realizing it was you! Thanks for all the feedback on the CGM. I am trying to get it approved myself. My insurance actually will not cover the purchase of the sensor but my Pharmacy benefit will cover the consumables for lik $2 per month. So I would have to shell out like $700 bucks up front out of pocket but then I would be set. I have been on the pump now for like two years, came down with diabetes out of the blue about 4 years ago. Take care!

Thanx,
Matt Ronsman (Snapper)

 
At July 1, 2009 at 1:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update. I'm considering using the CGM myself, but the benefits vs the detriments seems to work out 50/50 to me.

I just can't decide, so I've turned to blogs/testimonials of people who have been using them for awhile, and it still seems to be 50/50.

Thanks for posting your experience, it helps having additional information to make an informed decision!

 
At July 1, 2009 at 7:44 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Just got word today that my insurance (Fiserv) will cover the CGMS so long as I order it through Homecare Medical rather than through Minimed directly. Makes no difference to me so long as it is covered! So I am pumped (no pun intended)!

Thanx,
Matt Ronsman

 
At August 13, 2010 at 8:16 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

CGMS users.How do you handle swimming and laying in the sun? Is it really worth the hassle?

 
At February 6, 2011 at 1:46 PM , Anonymous Brad Potter said...

I would be interested to hear more about your experience with Apidra. I've been using Novolog since I started on a Medtronic 722 (with CGMS) pump 3 years ago. I recently tried a switch to Apidra to help reduce postpandrial blood sugars. It has accomplished this....but I find it irritating that the pump seems to clog (NO DELIVERY msg) after only about 2 - 3 days with the Apidra insulin. Novolog isn't as fast acting, but doesn't require as frequent infusion set changes (5 days for me). I never experienced a clog (or NO DELIVERY msg) with Novolog.

The Apidra write-up from Aventis does indicate a 48 hour limit in the pump for this insulin - not sure if that just a CYA thing or if everyone sees this limit. Since clogs occur at unpredictable intervals - this doesn't seem to be a vial insulin for pump users.

 
At October 22, 2011 at 1:04 PM , Anonymous Cathy said...

hi, I have been a diabetic for 47 years. 1 and 1/2 years ago I got the Sensor. I have had the pump for 15 years. For the first time in my life I have my blood sugar under control. I have lots of other problems. I no longer know when my sugar drops. So the Sensor has been a god sent. It my be off a little but it has helped me. Sadly my ins. co. does not pay for this. I have Medicare/Medicade of R.I. I am fighting for them to pay. If someone knows how to get them to pay for it let me know....

 
At October 31, 2011 at 6:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

When sensing our glucose it must be accurate and in real-time so that anytime we will be able to know the blood sugar status.

Distance Sensor

 
At February 24, 2012 at 6:17 PM , Anonymous Judy said...

I have a love-hate relationship with my CGM. The second night I started wearing my CGM, it probably saved my life. My blood sugar dropped during the night. The sensor alarmed until my husband awoke. He then was able to help me treat the low. The thing I find irritating is those night time alarms for things like"lost sensor" or "weak signal" and you find your pump and transmitter are 1 to 2 feet apart. It is suppose to work up to 6 feet. They still have a long way to go to make them perfect, but when I got diabetes in 1968 I couldn't even check a blood sugar. I had to rely on a urine test. I am very thankful for how far technology has come.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home